A variety of artificially-created crystals are used for many purposes in the Spire. Each type of crystal channels energy in a different way, ranging from light to propulsion, from electricity to weapons.
They also range in rarity. Lumin crystals are so common that their eventual loss means very little, but a core crystal is so expensive and rare that non-Fleet ships can only afford second or third-hand ones.
This is partially a reflection of how long it takes to create them. While lumin crystals are tiny and simple, a core crystal requires decades or even centuries to grow. Furthermore, they are only grown in the vattery of a single family, House Lancaster.
Types of crystalsEdit
Among the types of crystals are:
- Lumin crystals, which emanate light.
- Gauntlet crystals, which produce a massive blast of destructive energy.
- Weapon crystals, which are larger versions of the gauntlet crystals.
- Lift crystals, which produce an anti-gravity effect.
- Trim crystals, which allow maneuverability.
- Core crystals , which regulate electricity.